Above the roof of the world
---a snow leopard & plateau wildlife photo safari in Qinghai
Snow leopard on Qinghai Plateau
Gorgeous Qinghai is the origin of life, for it is the source region of several big rivers in Asia. In the vast remote land of southwestern Qinghai, there lays the "Three-River Source Region" or Sanjiangyuan where the Yangtze River, Yellow River and Mekong river originate. It is also known as an Eden for plateau wildlife, among them is the fabulous Snow leopard, top predator and keystone species of Central Asia, a symbol of the mountains.
Because of the severe living condition, the plateau is never an ideal habitat for human but a peaceful homeland for wildlife. There are many big animals live on the plateau without human interruption including large carnivores like snow leopards, brown bears, wolves and lynx, supported by their prey species like Blue sheep (Pseudois nayaur), Argali sheep (Ovis ammon), Tibetan gazelle, Tibetan woolly hares (Lepus oiostolus), Himalayan marmots (Marmota himalayana) and black-lipped pika (Ochotona curzoniae). Several other ungulate species inhabit the alpine steppes as well, such as Wild yak, Kiang, and some endemic animals that you can only see on this highland such as Tibetan antelope or chiru (Pantholops hodgsoni), Tibetan gazelle (Procapra picticaudata), White-lipped deer, Przewalski’s gazelle, Goitered gazelle and so on.
On the vast plateau, you can see wildlife walking, running, hunting, sometimes even sleeping right before your very eyes. With snow-covered mountains, icy peaks, the Gobi deserts, and vast pastures standing behind as the background, Tibetan plateau is definitely a paradise for Snow Leopard Photography.
In this plateau wildlife safari with a particular mission of snow leopard photography and searching, we are going to loop around the whole province and deeply experience the plateau climate and Tibetan lifestyle. The best season for wildlife safari on the plateau is winter when the wildlife has the best coat and come down to the lower altitude for food. However, the low temperature is indeed a big challenge. We are going to embrace this big challenge and set our expedition in winter just for the best photo for these plateau spirits. Our odyssey is consisting of two major parts: snow leopard searching and photo safari for other plateau wildlife.
Starting from Yushu, the core distribution ranges of Snow leopard, we will spend the first week searching for the elusive big cat in "our destination" under the guidance of our snow leopard expert. We camp in the mountain valleys where snow leopard researchers concentrate and monitor snow leopard with local herders making snow leopard photography an irresistible temptation for both animal lovers and professional photographers. The second part will be a road trip searching for other plateau wildlife we mentioned above. We are going to drive to Hoh Xil nature reserve along Qinghai-Tibet highway, the highest highway in the world, searching for wildlife while feasting on nature beauty etc. Venturing north to Qinghai lake, the largest salt water lake in China, we are searching for the endemic and critically endangered Przewalski’s gazelle and finish our adventure in the capital city Xining.
- •Snow leopard photography. China owns the biggest snow leopard habitat (1,100,000 km2) with the most population of snow leopard (around 2,000–2,500) in the world. We are going to explore the core area of their habitat, trek snow leopard, photograph this elegant creature with researchers working in the institutions of snow leopard study.
- •Plateau wildlife photo safari. China is one of the countries which have the most species of mammals around the globe. And the "Three-River Source Region" or Sanjiangyuan is the best place to see those big animals and many endemic species. Except for snow leopard, we are going to spend our time with other plateau wildlife such as wild yak, Kiang, argali, blue sheep and some native residents like Tibetan antelope, Tibetan gazelles, white-lipped deer. etc.
- •Experience the harmony of human and nature. The wildlife on the plateau live happily without human interruption. Tibetan people respect all living creatures as much as respecting their gods. The wildlife on the plateau don't see human as a threaten. You can photography the wildlife in an extreme close distance, observe their behavior and feel the affinity between human and nature.
- •Explore with a team of experts, photographers and local guides. Besides our snow leopard expert, our experienced wildlife photographers who know the best time and location of photographing those animals will be your company along the way.
- •A spiritual experience on the Tibet Plateau. It is quite a unique visual and spiritual experience while enjoying the stunning scenery feast from mother nature and watching the pious local people praying with prayer wheels and crawling all the way toward their holy land.
For more than 10 years, He Bing has been working for wildlife research and conservation in Southern China and Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau. During the last 6 years, he worked for Shan Shui Conservation Center, one of the biggest environmental NGOs in China, mainly focusing on Snow leopard and the alpine ecosystem conservation on the plateau. He participated several Snow leopard surveys in Qinghai and Sichuan with world-renowned zoologist and naturalist Dr. George Schaller, and other Chinese snow leopard scientists. Read more>>
As a half Kangba Tibetan, Philip is the founder of AbsolutePanda and is native of Ganzi Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture. He has a deep love of his Kangba Tibetan heritage and the land where he was born and raised. Philip is an active and knowledgeable birder, and a dedicated photographer. He is known for his ability to plan and execute unique and exciting adventure trips exploring the sights off the usual tourist routes.Philip will also keep you company in the trip. If you have any questions, please contact him for more information. Read more>>
What make AbsolutePanda’s wildlife safari excellent?
- •Travel with wildlife expert. In this plateau wildlife safari, we are going with snow leopard expert who has been working on snow leopard conservation for more than 6 years. He is going to guide us trekking this mysterious creature with his 6 year’s field experience which could enormously increase the chance.
- •Accomplished Local Photographer guide. Our China Photography Tours are led by famous local photographers who are specialized in nature and wildlife photography, also with plenty of patience and enthusiasm to answer all your questions and provide technical supports.
- •Extensive on-the-ground network. AbsolutePanda maintain good relationship with experts and local people which helps us to organize stunning trips based on fresh information updated all the time.
- •Appropriate group size. A group of 6 people are the maximum to optimize your unique experiences so that we could provide meticulous service to each individual and make sure everyone has equal chance to have the best photo in those precious moments.
- •Best logistic supplement. We have guided many expeditions on the Tibet Plateau. We are very experienced at dealing with high elevation conditions. We will prepare all the necessity on the plateau to guarantee your safety and comfort. You will stay at the best local hotels or guest houses and dine at popular local restaurants. We will adjust our logistic plan according your interest and preferences.
Bing and the body of blue sheep ate by a snow leopard
Blue sheep ( snow leopar's prey)
Yushu--2 days' staying nearby Yushu--Sanjiangyuan Nature Reserve (5 days around this area to look for snow leopard and other wildlife)--Hoh Xil (to photograph Wild Yak, Kiang, Tibetan Antelope and other wildlife.)--4 days --Golmud--Gangcha--Xining(fly back)
Day1 Gathering in Yushu/check in
We will pick you up at the airport in Yushu and check into hotel. We can also arrange a domestic flight booking service upon your request.
Overnight: Xinzhai Courtyard House
Day2 Nearby Yushu/1 Day wildlife safari
Waking up at leisure,we will arrange some activities to help our guests adapt to the plateau climate and high altitude,Some photo excursions will be arranged nearby Yushu. We are going to start our photo safari with carnivores living in the lower altitude such as Tibetan fox, wolves, lynx, buzzard, vulture together with the little ones like black-lipped pika, Himalayan marmot etc.
Overnight: Xinzhai Courtyard House
Day 3-7 Sanjiangyuan Nature Reserve/5-day snow leopard safari
Driving to Sanjiangyuan Nature Reserve, we are going to start our adventure searching for the location of snow Leopard according to the latest news with help of our local Tibetan guides. After settle down at our camp site, we’ll trek to nearby valleys looking for snow leopard trace and its prey, blue sheep, because the snow leopards are also looking for blue sheep. The everyday program for snow leopard photography is not fixed. Everything will depend on weather conditions and snow leopard movements. The idea is to have the best possibility to track this "ghost cat” (snow leopard).
We have abundant experience in Camping( more than ten years ), especially in the "enjoyment of Camping". We have been able to find a variety of places in China to start our Camping trip, including gongga mountain, yajiang, genie, and sanjiangyuan Nature Reserve. At the end of the first part of the trip, we are going to stay in a big county to refresh from the tough days in the valley.
D8 Going back go Yushu
After 5 days Snow leopard safari, we will drive back to Yushu. Taking a shower & having a good rest, be well-prepared for the next wildlife safari.
D9-12 Hoh Xil National Nature Reserve/ 4-day for more wildlife
Beyond snow leopard, there are so many beautiful wildlife on the plateau. We try to make the most of this trip to capture as many of the wonderful moments of these amazing plateau spirits. In the beginning of second part of our adventure, we drive to Hoh Xil, one of the largest national nature reserves in China, to photograph Wild Yak, Kiang, Tibetan Antelope, Tibetan Fox, white-lipped deer etc.
Day 13 Drive to Golmud
Today we will search for Gazella subgutturosa near Golumd and drive toward Qinghai lake to search for an endemic Przewalski’s gazelle. We will stop by Golmud and reward ourselves by a nice hot spring.
Day 14 Golmud--Gangcha
Waking up at leisure, we departure for the north of the Qinghai lake searching for Przewalski’s gazelle. Until the early 20th century, Przewalski's gazelle was widespread across the high plateaus of northwestern China and Inner Mongolia. However, it had been extirpated across the great majority of its former range, and is now found only in a single small area around Qinghai Lake, with only hundreds of individuals left. It will be quite exciting to photography those extremely rare species who only live here.
Overnight：Haibing Holiday Hotel
Day 15 Xining
Leaving early in the morning, we are going to photograph wildlife on the way. We will arrive our final destination, Xining, the capital of Qinghai province, and finish this great adventure.
Overnight: Haolong Hotel
Fly back home via Xining
We can customize this trip so as to better meet your timing, budget and interests or arrange a private extension to explore China as you wish. Please contact us for more information.
June 23-July 07(2018)
we successfully ran our summer Snow Leopard Trip in 2017,with sighting of 2 snow leopards,please go to the following link to read our blog about this trip.
Join us and book now!
1. What is the weather condition in December in Qinghai?
The temperature in June is around 3°C to 28°C.
The temperature in Jan. is around -17°C to 3°C.
Other weather attributes
•Cold and dry
•Large day/night temperature difference
•Less oxygen content
•Lower boiling point
2. What vehicle will be used in the trip?
We will use four-wheeled landcruisers plus logisitc van if needed for the whole trip to ensure largest flexibility and accessibility.
3. How is the accommodation level?
For snow leopard search, we will use special winter tents for our winter program, and fully array of camping facility for summer program such as individual sleeping tents, cooking tent, dinning tent, toilet tent and shower tent to ensure that your warm stay during winter trip and highest-level of comfort during summer trip.
4. What kind of food will be provided?
In the remote areas, there won’t be any western breakfast in the hotel. But we will prepare it for you. For lunch and dinner, you have opportunity to try Chinese cuisine and Tibetan cuisine with local flavor in the good local restaurant which meet our hygienic standard. We will try our best to let you try as many types of dishes as possible to help you refresh from the cold climate.
5. What kind of gears shall I prepare?
Except for the photography equipment which you will prepare for yourself, you should prepare the following staff you will possibility need during the trip:
•Sunglasses to protect your eyes from the strong sunlight on the plateau.
•Sunscreen ( SPF 30+), thermal mug, hat
We have just finished the trip we are very happy to share the tour highlight and photos of the trip with you.
Philip is our wildlife expert who tailor-made a 13-day itinerary for our client in July 2017.They heard a loud growl of snow leopard in the second day afternoon and discovered 2 snow leopards in the third day morning.Despite the harsh climate and the hard environment,they finally took the precious picture.
Thank you for your kind message. I had a great experience with you, along with Tsebtrim. I really enjoyed all steps of our trip and will remember the snow leopard trip for a long time as well. I think we all were in the right mood and we have adopted the right approach to this trip. I will definitely let you know whenever I need your help, you are such a resourceful and reliable person. And in any case we will go to the most beautiful traditional tea house in Chengdu city for a good catch-up.
——by Ian H