Emei Mountain is located on 30°north latitude，at the edge of Sichuan’ Basin，southwestern part of Sichuan province.
How to get to Emei Mountain
It will take about 2.5 hours to drive from Chengdu and 1 hour from Leshan.
Everyday there are bulletin trains from Chengdu to Emei which will take 1.5 hours.
Information you should know before trip to Emei.
One of the most famous mountains in China
The Emei mountain extends from north to south, stretching for 23 kilometers, covering an area of about 115 square kilometers.The highest peak, Wanfo peak, is 3,099 meters above sea level, while the plain under the mountain is only more than 400 meters above sea level, with a relative height difference of more than 2,600 meters, far exceeding the famous five mountains and numerous domestic tourist mountains such as Huangshan.This also makes Emei a very famous summer resort because the lower temperature in high places of the thick green mountain.
Emei mountain is not only rich in natural heritage, known as the "kingdom of plants", "animal park" and "geological museum". Emei has a profound cultural heritage, is one of China's four most famous Buddhist mountains, known for the worship of Buddha Puxian(Samantabhadra bodhisattva). Present there are about a big community of monks and nuns in the mountain, and many large and small temples. The famous temples include Baoguo temple, Fuhu temple, Wannian temple, Qingyin pavilion, Huazang temple and so on.
Mount Emei is rich in over 3200 plant resources.Emei mountain in addition to these, there are very precious Flora.There are 29 species of rhododendrons in Mount Emei, and the forest coverage rate of the mountain is over 85%.
The animal resources of Mount Emei are not inferior to the plant resources. More than 2,300 kinds of animals have been recorded.Among them, there are 29 species of state-level protected endangered animals, such as the Red panda. Two hundred species of butterflies are found in Emei Mountain, including many rare kinds.
In the geological history of China, the Yanshan movement at the end of the Mesozoic period shaped the geological structure of Mount Emei, while the Himalayan movement in the neotectonic period and the accompanying strong uplift of the Qinghai-tibet plateau created the magnificent modern landform of Mount Emei.The strata of Mount Emei since the pre-cambrian (known as sinian in China) have been deposited in the strata of almost all ages.Typical signs of sedimentary facies and a large number of biological fossils are preserved, which provide important geo-historical data for the study of sedimentary facies, recovery of paleoenvironment, and the study of global biostratigraphy and biogeography.
Attractions you can not miss in Emei
· Jinding(Golden Summit) is located at the second peak of Mount Emei, adjacent to Wanfo Peak. It is the most iconic place in Mount Emei, and it is the essence of Mount Emei.
· You can enjoy a panoramic view of Chengdu plain on Golden Summit, and you can see the highest snow mountains in good weather.
· The four major scenic spots of Emei include “Buddha light, sunrise, sea of clouds, and holy lamp. “ Also the world's highest golden Buddha, the four-square puxian holy statue is right on the Golden Summit.
· Baoguo Monastery is located at the foot of Mount Emei, which is the gateway to Mount Emei and the starting point for hiking visiting Mount Emei. It is also the largest temple and the Buddhist activities center in Mount Emei.
· The buildings in Baoguo Monastery are simple and elegant, surrounded by green forests. There is also a cultural relic management office, which collects various kinds of ceramic and jade, literature calligraphy and paintings, metal vessels, weapons and tools unearthed in the Warring States period, etc.
· Although the Monastery is located at the mountain foot, but it is with little commercial atmosphere, many devout believers visit here everyday.
Golden Buddha statue of Puxian
· The statue of ten-face square Puxian is a 48-meter-high gold-plating Buddha statue with a total weight of 660 tons.
· The statue are divided into three layers and with ten faces, representing the ten states of mind of the human world.Inside is a 484-square-meter space, where a bronze statue of Amitabha is dedicated, surrounded by small statues of Buddha.
· It can be very cold even in July and August on the top of the mountain. You need to take a coat with you to go up the mountain.
Things to know