Qingcheng mountain is located in the southwest of Dujiangyan city, Sichuan province, in the northwest edge of Chengdu plain. 68 kilometers from Chengdu downtown and 16 kilometers from Dujiangyan City. Qingcheng Mountain is very convenient to reach.
The anterior part and the posterior part
Qingcheng Mountain can be divided in to the anterior part and the posterior part. The anterior mountain is known for its cultural and historic sites and great scenery; while the posterior mountain is famous because it is a paradise for hiking.
The origin place of Taoism
Mount Qingcheng is a famous Taoist mountain in China and one of the cradles of Taoism in China.In the second year of the reign of Emperor Han An of the Eastern Han dynasty (AD 143), the "heavenly master" Zhang Daoling came to Qingcheng and selected Qingcheng Mountain as his preach place. After Zhang Daoling, his descendants carry forward his belief to become Taoism and Qingcheng Mountain is considered the birthplace and one of the most sacred places of Taoism.
The Taoist temple of the whole mountain is centered on the Tianshi cave, including Jianfu palace, shangqing palace, ancestral master palace, yuanming palace, laojun pavilion, yuqing palace, chaoyang cave and so on.
“The temples of Mount Qingcheng are closely associated with the foundation of Taoism, one of the most influential religions of East Asia over a long period of history.”
Taoist temple architecture is the concrete practice of Taoist thought of "unity of heaven and human". Focusing from the "way of nature", the buildings of Qingcheng Mountain take the landscape shape of the mountain. The layout can be very flexible and in a novelty style.From the foothills to the summit, the roads were linked by wooden planks, twisted ladders and stone bridges while pavilions, archways scattered along the tour to the mountain top.
Great Escape from the City
The perennial temperature in qingcheng mountain is between 10℃and 22℃, with an average temperature of 15.2℃. The forest coverage rate is above 95% and the vegetation coverage rate is above 98%. There is a saying” Qingcheng ranks the first in terms of elegance”. The dense forest and comfortable moisture make Qingcheng a fairyland for people to escape from city life.
Notable Spots in Qingcheng
· Jianfu Temple is located at the foot of Qingcheng. It was built in the Tang dynasty (618-907), and has been restored for many times. For now, two halls and three courtyards restored in the Qing dynasty(1644-1912) remain.
· The main hall of Jianfu Temple enshrine many Taoist gods and celebrities. There are also relics such as Weinxin Pavilion, couplets and wall paintings.
· A famous long couplet of Qingcheng mountain with a length of 394 characters is preserved in the palace, which is praised as "a unique art work of Qingcheng".
Laojun Pavilion is a nine-story octagonal pagoda, which was destroyed in the devastating earthquake on May 12, 2008. What we see now is the new one where you can overlook the emerald green peaks of Qingcheng and the beautiful plains of Chengdu.
· Tianshi cave, was built in the Daye period of the Sui dynasty. It is one of the most important Taoist temples in Qingcheng mountain and is also famous nation-wide.
· A stone niche set at the top of the cave, which is dedicated to the stone statue of Master Zhang Daoling carved in Sui dynasty(581-619).
· An 1800-year-old ancient ginkgo tree grows in Tianshi cave, which is said to have been planted by Master Zhang. Now this ancient tree is very tall and make a beautiful scene in autumn.
Things to know